Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How to achieve uniform THC and CBD results with the use of UVA UVB lighting.

How to achieve uniform THC and CBD results with the use of UVA UVB lighting.


Here is a quick update about how to achieve a uniform consistency when using UVA UVB lighting to grow medical marijuana.

Based on my last two years of testing I have found that using UVA UVB lighting will increase THC % by 3-5% on average.

Additionally we found where the light is placed makes a big difference as well as where the sample taken for testing or consumption also makes a noticeable difference. 

The lighting must be over top of plants and only the part of the plant receiving direct lighting from the UVA UVB bulbs increases. Which means the bigger the plant the more UVB UVA lighting you will need. Nowhere else on the plant does it show any increases in potency other than where the light is directly applied.

Also the location of the cutting taken for testing or consumption varies 3-5% as well. With this information it is possible that the top 6 inches of the plant could be 6-10% higher in THC than the lower branches.

Using the UVA UVB lighting in vedge or seed stage makes no difference on potency only some minor leaf curl is noticed if used in bloom only. All new leaves will adjust and not show any curling.

SCROG For Best UVA UVB Light Coverage And Uniformity


Based on this knowledge it would be best to grow medical marijuana plants in a technique called SCROG or screen of green. 

Basically you are growing a plant out wide not tall. A plant could be five feet wide but only 12- 18 inches tall. What this does is allow all the light to be used by the plant evenly and uniformly. This will eliminate the huge variance in THC and CBD potency. It will also eliminate all those small airy, fluffy flowers that are no good to consume other than maybe edibles. Resulting in large easy to trim flowers that all have the same flavor, taste, smell, hardness, density, potency and bag appeal.

 It also allows you to increase your yield by at least double if not more while growing fewer plants. This is a benefit if you live in a state where the legal limit of plant count is very low. To achieve this plants will need to be vedged longer and allowed to get fuller and taller. Top and crop as much as possible to make the plant short and wide.

Here is an example of a five foot SCROG set up in a 20 gal pot grown in a soil or soilless media. The pot size can be dropped to a 10 gallon or 15 gallon size with similar results.





It is my hope that all my research and testing will benefit everyone as well as advance the growth and knowledge of the industry resulting in better medicine and less chronic pain patients loaded up on highly addictive pain killers.


14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I'm a Michigan Medical Grower too and I learned that the best cannabis comes from high altitude/high UV-B areas. I'm also running a test with UV-B lights and a control plant and I'm using the SCROG method. I'll post the results of the lab tests here in 4-6 weeks when the plants are finished and dried and I can have them analyzed. I just sampled a bud that I trimmed off last week (4 weeks into flower 4 weeks to go) and I'm toasted.
    Here's a photo from last week -
    http://www.420magazine.com/gallery/member-galleries/p680011-flowering-day-25-and-uv-b-experiment.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks for confirming my suspicion that only the buds receiving strong UV-B have an increased THC content, that's why I have 4 Reptisun 10 CFL lights over one plant and 2 Reptisun 10 24" tubes over another plant and I point the CFLs at different areas every day so as many buds as possible get a full dose of UV Index 10 or better. I have observed increased growth in the plant receiving UV-B as compared to the 2 plants that are not getting any. All plants are getting the same nutrients so UV-B or the blue spectrum from the bulbs may have something to do with that. More tests are in order.
    You will find the information on UV-B lights here most informative -
    http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    Mmjherb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.
     Mmjherb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it okay to post part of this on my website basically post a hyperlink to this webpage?
    best cbd vape oil

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article!!! buy cbd oil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking.
    CBD Vape Oil

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.
    cannabis store

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work. Thailand Medical Marijuana Conference

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job here on _______ I read a lot of blog posts, but I never heard a topic like this. I Love this topic you made about the blogger's bucket list. Very resourceful. buy magic mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. packwoods pre roll review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doweiko (2009) explains that not all cannabis has abuse potential. He therefore suggests using the common terminology marijuana when referring to cannabis with abuse potential. For the sake of clarity this terminology is used in this paper as well. canna cabana

    ReplyDelete